New Orleans Hornets at Los Angeles Lakers
7:30 PM Pacific time / 10:30 PM Eastern Time
Staples Center in Los Angeles, CA
TV: Local: TWC Sportsnet, TWC Deportes National: NBA TV
Line: Los Angeles Lakers -8.5
Los Angeles Lakers: 40-37, 9th in the Western Conference
New Orleans Hornets: 27-50, 13th in the Western Conference
Record vs. each other (2012-13 season): Lakers 1-0 vs. Wizards this season.
- The Los Angeles Lakers are coming down the stretch of the NBA season and they still haven’t been able to pass the Utah Jazz to secure that 8th and final playoff spot. The Lakers are current tied in the loss column at 37 with Utah, but will need to get ahead of them by at least one game due to the Jazz owning the tiebreaker over the Lakers as a result of winning the season series, 2-1.
- The Utah Jazz have 4 games remaining in the regular season and if they win out they clinch the 8th and final spot in the playoffs. That is a very tall order for the Jazz as they play the Oklahoma City Thunder tonight in Utah, then play a home and home against the Minnesota Timberwolves; they’ll close out the year in Memphis to play the Grizzlies who still might have the #3 seed to battle out with against the Denver Nuggets.
- The Lakers schedule to close out the season is tough. They’ll play the Hornets tonight at Staples but after that it gets significantly more difficult. On the 2nd night of a back to back they’ll face the Portland Trailblazers in the Rose Garden where they always have a difficult time winning. Lakers then close out the season with 3 straight home games against the Warriors, Spurs and Rockets, all playoff teams.
- Most had Metta World Peace missing at a minimum, the remainder of the regular season with a torn meniscus. However, only a few days after surgery, Metta is apparently ready to get back on the court. It is reported that Metta World Peace will play tonight against the Hornets. Steve Nash is still unavailable with a hamstring injury.
– Fern Rea “@fullcourtfern”