Memphis Grizzlies at Los Angeles Lakers
7:30 PM Pacific time / 10:30 PM Eastern Time
Staples Center in Los Angeles, CA
TV: Local: TWC Sportsnet, TWC Deportes National: NBA League Pass
Line: Los Angeles Lakers -2.5
Los Angeles Lakers: 39-36, 8th in the Western Conference
Memphis Grizzlies: 51-24, 5th in the Western Conference
Record vs. each other (2012-13 season): Grizzlies 2-0 vs. Lakers this season.
- The Los Angeles Lakers have won 2 in a row and coming off probably their biggest win of the season against the Dallas Mavericks who they beat on Tuesday,101-80. The Lakers win against Dallas put them up to a game and half at that time and with the the Mavs loss to the Nuggets yesterday, they are now 2 and 1/2 ahead of the Mavs.
- The Lakers currently sit in the 8th spot, 1/2 a game ahead of the Utah Jazz. The Lakers control their own destiny in their last 7 games. The Lakers have one less loss than the Jazz and will need to stay at least one game ahead to clinch a playoff spot since the Jazz own the tiebreaker over the Lakers.
- While there are not many out there that have high hopes for the Lakers making a run to a championship for the Lakers this season, if they are going to have a chance they’ll need some breaks in terms of match ups. The Lakers are currently pegged to play the San Antonio Spurs in the 1st round. With injuries to Manu Ginobli and Tony Parker who is currently playing but hobbling, the Spurs could be a wounded animal that the Lakers could handle in the first round. However, with the Oklahoma City Thunder beating the Spurs yesterday, 100-88, both teams are now tied in the loss column. The Thunder hold the tiebreaker over the Spurs if they end up in a tie as a result of their better conference record. A first round match up against the Thunder would not be ideal for the Lakers.
- Kobe Bryant is coming off a magnificent performance against the Dallas Mavericks. Kobe earned his 2nd triple-double of the season on Tuesday, putting in 23 points, grabbing 11 rebounds and dishing out 11 assists in the 101-81 win against Dallas.
- The Memphis Grizzlies have won 4 in a row and are a dominant 21-6 since February 8th. Their recent good run began shortly after their trade of forward Rudy Gay to the Toronto Raptors, where in return the Grizzlies received Tayshaun Prince, Austin Daye and Ed Davis.
– Fern Rea “@fullcourtfern”