Dallas Mavericks at Los Angeles Lakers
7:30 PM Pacific time / 10:30 PM Eastern Time
Staples Center in Los Angeles, CA
TV: Local: TWC Sportsnet, TWC Deportes National: TNT
Line: Los Angeles Lakers -3
Los Angeles Lakers: 38-36, 9th in the Western Conference
Dallas Mavericks: 36-37, 10th in the Western Conference
Record vs. each other (2012-13 season): Lakers 2-1 vs. Mavs this season.
- The Dallas Mavericks are surging, having won 10 of their last 14 to get within 1 and 1/2 games of the 9th place Los Angeles Lakers and 2 games behind the Utah Jazz for the final playoff spot.
- The Los Angeles Lakers have been struggling with injuries and losses lately. Steve Nash is doubtful for tonight’s game with a strained hamstring and Kobe Bryant will play but is battling a left foot injury. Metta World Peace is out for the season with a torn lateral meniscus. The Lakers come in to tonight’s game having lost 4 of their last 6 games.
- Shaquille O’ Neal will get his jersey retired prior to the start of the game. Shaq helped lead the Lakers to 3 straight NBA championships from 2000-2002, where he received the NBA Finals Most Valuable Player award for all 3 championships.
- This is a huge game for both teams. A win for the Lakers and it will place them back in a tie for the 8th and final playoff spot with the Utah Jazz and will clinch the season series against the Dallas Mavericks at 3-1. Winning the season series is vital as in the event of a tie, the tie breaker will be the team having won the season series. The Utah Jazz own the season series over the Lakers, 2-1; therefore, the Lakers will need to best the Jazz record by at least 1 game to jump them in the standings.
– Fern Rea “@fullcourtfern”