(Photo: Mike Lawrie/Getty Images)
Mark Jackson, age 49, born in Brooklyn, NY.
College: St. John’s University
Basketball playing career stats:
a) St. Johns Red Storm 1983-887 (4 Seasons), Point Guard
- Led the nation in assists in 1985-86 averaging 9.1 assists per game
- Named 2nd team All-American as a senior in 1987
- Reached Final Four in his sophomore year in 1986, losing to Georgetown in National Semi-Final
- St. Johns All-Time assists leader with 738 assists in his career
b) NBA Career (17 Seasons: Knicks 1987-92, 2001-02; Clippers 1992-94; Pacers 1994-96, 1997-00; Nuggets 1996-97; Raptors 2000-01; Jazz 2002-03; Rockets 2003-04)
Drafted 18th overall by the New York Knicks in the 1987 NBA Draft.
- 1988 Rookie of the Year with Knicks
- Named to the 1989 NBA All Star Game with Knicks
- 4th in career assists with 10,334 assists (Just surpassed by Steve Nash this past season)
- Led the league in assists (both average and total assists) in 1996-97 season.
NBA Career Coaching Record: 121-109, .526 winning percentage (regular season)
NBA career playoff record: 9-10, .474 winning percentage
3 seasons NBA Head Coaching Experience
Has qualified for the NBA Playoffs in 2 of his 3 seasons coaching.
NBA head coaching jobs:
Golden State Warriors 2011-14 (3 seasons)
- Coached the Golden State Warriors to an upset 1st round victory over the Denver Nuggets in 2013
- Warriors improved their win total each season with Jackson as coach: 23 wins (shortened season) in 2012 to 47 wins in 2013 to 51 wins in final season
- Took Warriors to 2 playoff appearances in his 3 years as coach for a franchise that had seen the playoffs once in the previous 17 before Jackson’s arrival
Notable players coached:
Stephen Curry, David Lee, Monte Ellis, Nate Robinson, Jarrett Jack, Carl Landry, Andrew Bogut, Andre Iguodala, Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes.
- Defensive minded coach
- Optimal motivator
- Questionable in-game coaching decisions (can be attributed to his limited coaching experience)
- Lacks offensive creativity
- Limited with “Xs and Os”
- Reportedly dubious Interpersonal skills: 2 assistant coaches were removed from Jackson staff this past season (Brian Scalabrine and Darren Erman), rumors that lead assistant Michael Malone and Jackson did not get along and went weeks without speaking during their 2 years on the staff and rocky relationship with both head consultant Jerry West and owner Joe Lacob which likely led to his eventual firing.
- Played under head coach Jeff Van Gundy in New York from 2000-02
- Jackson later joined Jeff Van Gundy in the broadcast booth for ABC
- Appeared in the 1996 film, Eddie, in the role of Darren ‘Preacher’ Taylor
- Is a licensed minister and is actively involved in the church, conducting sermons at a church near Los Angeles, CA
- Is married to former R&B singer Desiree Jackson (previously Desiree Coleman)
Not so fun facts:
- Jackson was a victim to an extortion plot by a stripper he had purportedly been involved with and other co-conspirators in 2006
– Fern Rea
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel, Youtube.com/raining3sTV